Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Paradox of Choice

I have started reading a book by Barry Schwartz; "The Paradox of Choice, Why More is Less".
It is about how the culture of abundance is robbing us of satisfaction. I've only read a few pages but I know exactly the phenomenom described by the author.
People who seek and accept only the best are maximizers. They can be also be quite miserable.
Searching for only the best can be very unsatisfying as the quest is never ending.
It's interesting to see how this applies to so many things in life, from choosing the right MBA program, the right profession, the right mate, the right car to the right t-shirt.
Left to our own devices, we get paralyzed by all the choices we have, always wondering if we have made the right choice. We just have to realize that "good enough" can be satisfying as well.
This can be hard to accept for maximizers even though it will make them happier in the end.

2 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you but then on the other hand why do you want to under sell yourself. If one has the brains, capability, dedication why shouldnt one try to achieve the best. I would rather be miserable than settle for less. This is what helps mankind progress. If everyone just decided to be happy then we wouldnt have been where we are right now.

I guess this is where one should (easier said than done) develop something called equnimity where you have an objective view of everything that is going around in your life. What that means is you try to achieve the best but also be happy.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Rico's Mom said...

Such a contrast to what I just posted a few moments ago on my own blog. I might have to pick up that book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home