Sunday, April 09, 2006

On Nomination and past Week

I was nominated as one of the best 25 aplicant blogs at www.clearadmit.com! Wow! That is great! I guess a few people don't mind me taking liberty with the English language from time to time (ok, most of the time).
Yesterday, I went to church for the first time for what seems to be centuries. It had been a long time since i hadn't stepped foot inside a sanctuary. The occasion was sad. A few weeks a go, a 31 year-old engineer was shot by robbers in front of his house in Haiti, leaving behind a young wife and their three very young children. I didn't know well the person who died but it touched me so when I heard the news that I had to attend the ceremony.
There, I saw many familiar faces. People who I can't say are friends or foes but who share a link with me. For ten years now that I have been in Canada, I have seen these people at parties,we have lived in the same areas, went to the same schools, etc.
Some are nice, some are mean, many are now married, some have succeeded while others are shadows of their former selves. A lot of these people are not my friends but they are more than acquaintances. We share a heritage, a way of looking at the world, a history.
Being part of a close-knit commmunity has disadvantages:the gossip, competition, fakeness.
Yet, when one of ours has fallen down hit by bullets, we all came together and I was proud.
I was proud that instead of being a celebration of death, the mass was a celebration of life.
I was proud at my fellow Haitians for using well-chosen words that soothed our souls.
I was proud to see the young widow still full of life and smiling and laughing.
I was delighted to drink some homemade Haitian hot chocolate while joking with people I hadn't seen in years after the mass. To be in a church basement with the same people one used to see at all the parties freshman year, 10 years older, wiser, was an interesting experience. It didn't leave me sad because despite the circumstances, I still saw the great spirit that we, Haitians, have inside of us beaming in the room. I went in sad but I left joyful.
Thank you Wladimir Antoine and may you rest in peace.

8 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Clear Admit said...

Hi Azaka Dessalines,

Congratulations on being nominated for the 2006 Clear Admit Best of Blogging Awards. If you would like to weigh in with your opinion on the most enjoyable and helpful blogs of the past year, we would love to have your input. Just email bestofblogging@clearadmit.com, and we can forward you this year’s ballot.

Thanks in advance, and good luck!

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger TheMalau said...

Very touching - and accurate - post. Tu as decris exactement les gens autour de moi.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Alice B. said...

Hey MB,

How are you? Congrats on the nomination. I've been following your blog, but quietly. Really enjoy your feedbakc on my posts.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

krCongratulations, your's is an awesome blog.

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Wladimir Antoine - April 9th blog. Can you possibly tell me how to get in touch with his widow, Sylvie Dominique? Or the church where the memorial service was held?

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger mbayisyen said...

ms. helman,
the ceremony was held at Notre-Dame-des-Neiges Church on Côte-des-Neiges Road. Please email me at mbayisyen@gmail.com for more info.

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God!!! I'm Wladimir Antoine's Neise/ he is my uncle. Thank you so much for writing this. He was a very nice man and didnt deserve to die. I love him and I'll never forget him!!! Can you please tell me how you got all this info and my Godmothers name(Sylvie Antoine)?

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger I luv nerds said...

I forgot to ask too. Who Are You????????????????????????????????
Please tell me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home